Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined as employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum, including: "alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school." This work cannot violate the terms of your visa.
CPT is available only prior to the completion of your degree program and you must have an internship offer before you apply for CPT. CPT employment may not delay completion of your academic program. In order to qualify for CPT, students must meet one of the following requirements:
- Complete two academic semesters in the United States, or
- Meet the MS in Business Analytics (MSBA) Field Experience requirements: Complete 2 analytics courses (601, 602 or 609) before interning. After or during internship experience, apply industry experience in an analytics project-based course (655, 656 or 697DS).
International MSBA graduate students must register for the 1 credit course - SCH-MGMT 696 Independent Study, in order to participate in any CPT.
Students who participate in CPT during the fall or spring semester, must be enrolled full-time, in-residence. Students who participate in CPT during the summer or winter session are not required to be enrolled full-time, but optionally may enroll in classes.
To apply for CPT during the summer, fall or spring semesters, or during the winter session, students must complete the steps below:
After receiving a paid training offer, ensure your job offer letter meets the following requirements:
1. Job Offer Letter on company letter head (with complete mailing address) which must contain ALL of the following information:
- Job title
- A brief description of job duties
- Number of hours student will work per week
- An exact employment start and end date
- Location where student will be working
- Salary and related compensation
2. Contact your academic advisor, and enroll in a 1 credit independent study ($925 tuition rate) and the Field Experience Concentration.
3. Log-on to Handshake, and under Career Center, “Request an Experience.” You will upload your employee letter and the completed Field Experience Risk Acknowledgement Form into Handshake. Directions for submitting and attaching files to the Handshake Experience Contract can be found here. Any questions about registering your experience in Handshake should be directed to Mary Lysakowski, firstname.lastname@example.org, in the Career Development & Professional Connections Hub, Goodell 511.
4. Once your Handshake “Experience” contract has been processed, Handshake will send a notification to your academic advisor and graduate program director to approve the contract.
5. Then, you can apply for CPT through the IPO office at this link.