Sport Management and Leadership Academy Program Overview
Immerse yourself in the business of sport at the world’s #1 ranked Sport Management program!
As part of the UMass Amherst Summer Pre-College Program and hosted by the #1 ranked Sport Management department, the McCormack Department's Sport Management & Leadership Academy provides a platform for talented high school students to learn practical sport business applications and industry insights from our world renowned faculty and industry-leading alumni.
During this two-week program, students immerse themselves in key segments and critical issues relevant to the highly competitive sports and entertainment industry, such as:
- Sport & Digital Media
- Sport Marketing & Sales
- Diversity & Inclusion in Sport Organizations
- Player Performance & Data Analytics
- Player Representation & Athlete Endorsement
The McCormack Department challenges students to apply a management lens to strategic decision-making in sports, offering a diverse and highly interactive approach to learning.
Students who attend this program will:
- Gain a macro-level understanding of the sport management industry and key stakeholders
- Conceptualize and analyze the unique consumer behavior factors surrounding sports as a product
- Conceptualize and analyze the unique market/business dynamics surrounding sports as a business
- Gain valuable access to UMass/McCormack’s unrivaled sport management alumni database and faculty
- Complete a professional presentation on one area of interest from the 2-week program, for use in applications and career development
The McCormack Department is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment in the classroom, and the sports industry. Young women and underrepresented groups who cannot meet the financial obligations of the Sport Management & Leadership Academy are encouraged to apply for a scholarship. Please see Tuition & Fees to learn how to apply.
Students may attend this course either in person or online.
- In Person Schedule: Monday to Friday, 9 A.M.-4 P.M. This course is offered at the UMass Amherst campus as a residential program. Local students may apply to attend as a commuter.
- Online Schedule: Live, synchronous sessions will meet Monday to Friday, 1-3 P.M. (EST). Plus additional asynchronous work as assigned.
Students attending the online program are expected to attend all class sessions live in real time. In order to prioritize the health and well-being of participants, eligibility is restricted to applicants residing in time zones where class hours do not extend beyond midnight. Please use a time zone converter to check when class sessions will meet in your time zone.