The Business minor provides an opportunity for non-Isenberg majors to complement their academic and professional interests. This interdisciplinary minor will provide students with a foundation in the areas of accounting, finance, management, marketing, and operations & information management. Students will acquire skills in decision making, organizational behavior, strategy, project management, and supply-chain management.
Registration to become a business minor student beginning Fall 2021 will open February 1, 2021 and close no later than 5:00 pm February 22, 2021. However, capacity is limited, thus registration may end before the closing date.
Registration to become a business minor student beginning Spring 2022 will open November 1, 2021 and close no later than 5:00 pm November 22, 2021. However, capacity is limited, thus registration may end before the closing date.
1. Required courses:
ACCOUNTNG 233: Financial and Managerial Accounting Principles
FINANCE 301: Corporate Finance (Required prerequisite is ACCOUNTNG 233)
MANAGMNT 301: Principles of Management
MARKETNG 301: Fundamentals of Marketing
OIM 301: Introduction to Operations Management
Statistics: Please use the list of statistics class options below that will best align with your major.
CE-ENGIN 260: Probability & Statistics in Civil Engineering
COMPSCI 240: Reasoning Under Uncertainty
M&I-ENG 273: Probability and Statistic
PUBHLTH 223: Introduction to Biostatistics for Public Health
PUBHLTH 490R: Introduction to Statistical Computing
PSYCH 240: Statistics in Psychology
RES-ECON 212: Intro Stats/Soc Sci
RES-ECON 213: Intermediate Statistics for Business and Economics
SOCIOL 212: Elementary Statistics
STATISTC C240: Intro to Statistics
STATISTC C297F: Special Topics-Fundamental Concepts of Statistics
STATISTC 515: Statistics
STATISTC 516: Statistics
STATISTC 525: Regression & Analysis of Variance
2. Requirements can be fulfilled through UMass Amherst classes offered on-campus, online via UWW, or a combination thereof. (Please note that tuition and fees for online classes differ from tuition and fees for on-campus classes. Online classes are offered through UWW. Consult the UWW web site for more information.)
3. Space in the on-campus minor classes is limited; students should plan to take the on-campus requirements over several semesters or with a combination of UWW online offerings.
4. At least three of the five required business minor courses must be completed through the Isenberg School of Management at UMass Amherst. Students must receive prior approval from the Isenberg Undergraduate Programs Office to take courses at another institution. ACCOUNTNG 233 must be taken at UMass Amherst. Please contact Meghan Smith, Director of Operations and Enrollment Management, at email@example.com with prior approval questions.
5. Academic minors are declared in SPIRE when the course work for the minor has been completed with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
6. Required courses may not be taken Pass/Fail.
How do I indicate my interest to pursue a Business Minor?
Students interested in enrolling in the Business Minor beginning in the Fall of 2021 must submit the Intention to Declare the Business Minor form between February 1, 2021, and 5:00 pm February 22, 2021. Students interested in enrolling for Spring 2022 must submit the Intention to Declare the Business Minor form between November 1, 2021, and 5:00 pm November 22, 2021. However, capacity is limited, thus registration may end before the closing date.
Business Minors WILL NOT have access to Isenberg academic advisors, Chase Career Center coaches, the Business Communication Center, or Isenberg Works.
Questions? Please contact the Isenberg Undergraduate Programs Office to speak with an operations team member.