For students admitted
after Spring 2009-
- All graduating seniors are eligible for Latin honors designations on diplomas and transcripts if completed academic record shows at least 54 graded credits at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and meets one or more of the following criteria:
- If GPA places student among top 5% of graduating class of his/her school or college, then summa cum laude.
- If GPA places student among the top 6-10%, then will receive the degree magna cum laude.
- If GPA places student among top 11-25% of the graduating class of his/her school or college then cum laude.
- At the start of the fall semester, the Registrar will post on their website the GPA needed to secure a place in the top 5%, 10%, and 25% in each school or college, based on the average of the previous three years' graduates.
For students admitted Spring 2009 or earlier and who graduate within 5 years, cum laude will be based on a 3.200 GPA and 45 calculable credits.